Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I found an interesting blog posted by Sohil Rojani titled, “Texas has worst record of prison sex abuse.” I thought this was interesting because it’s not something that you think would be discussed on a daily basis. The first thing I learned from this article was, “Five of the 10 prisons with the highest rates of sexual abuse in the country are in Texas.” This is a very important and serious issue and I don’t understand why this issue wasn’t taken care of before. Now, I know prison is an unsafe place, but now this makes it sound worse. How can this be stopped?

It says in the article that they are trying to reduce the problem by video cameras but I don’t think that’s going to have a big affect on the situation. Another solution suggested investigating the allegations of sex abuse, but I don’t think finding some of these people is going to stop it overall. The police stationed at these prisons need to buckle down and really look at what the issue is and how to prevent ALL of it. This is a sticky situation that seems very difficult and personal to deal with so I understand how hard it may be to stop this. But one way or another, I believe that the sexual abuse rate needs to drop dramatically to get Texas out of the top 5 prisons with sexual abuse.

I think my colleague did an excellent job with this article post because it’s definitely random and not something that would normally be discussed. I think they got all the right and interesting points across and I agree all the way with my colleague. This is a very serious issue and it’s going to take strict changes and rules to fix this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment